Create a personal cyber lab with Kali Linux installed in a Virtualbox (or VMWare) enviroment to participate in cyber competitions, labs and learning activities. Below are some references with an install video, instructions, helpful tips and tutorials:
- Kali Linux – is a free open source Linux distribution from Offensive Security with many cybersecurity tools pre-installed and pre-configured.
- Virtualbox – is free open source software from Oracle used to run guest operating systems in a virtual enviroment.
Eventually, you may want to optionally install additional Metasploitable and Ubuntu (or Debian) virtual software.
The following minimum configuration is recommended as a guide. Refer to the installation instructions for more details.
- Laptop OS: Windows 10, OS or Linux
- Recommended Hardware:
- 4 Gbg memory and 30 gbg hard disk (or more)
- wireless adapter
- Recommended Software:
Install Instructions and Tutorials:
- Reference: What is Kali Linux ?
- Video overview: ‘How To Install VirtualBox and Kali Linux for Penetration Testing and CyberSecurity‘.
- Article: ‘Installing Kali Linux on VirtualBox: Quickest & Safest Way‘
- Tips: The Top 10 Things to Do After Installing Kali Linux on Your Computer
- Tutorial: Learn Ethical Hacking With Kali Linux | Ethical Hacking Tutorial | Kali Linux Tutorial | Edureka
- Introductory Linux Course: ‘Linux for Noobs‘